Hepatitis B virus (HBV) is a highly contagious infection that attacks the liver. It is transmitted through bodily fluids and blood. Infection can result from:
- improperly screened blood transfusions
- unprotected sex
- intravenous drug use
- close person contact with an infected person
- sharing grooming tools
The vaccine is recommended for people who:
- travel to areas where hepatitis B infection is prevalent
- are health care professionals
- have chronic liver disease
- have HIV
- have kidney disease
Hepatitis B vaccines are given in three or four doses over a course of several months.
If you are planning to travel outside Canada and wondering if you need to get vaccinated based on your destination country, feel free to call us at (905) 475-2353 or book your appointment online for consultation with our healthcare provider.